Praying for Healing: James 5:13-20.
“Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit. My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.” (James 5:13–20, ESV)
Jesus, the “same yesterday, today, forever.” still heals.
Interpretations of healing
- God wants to heal everyone’s sickness.
- Blame the devil for sickness.
- God uses sickness for His purposes.
- Gift of healing.
Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
James 5:14, ESV
“sick” = without strength/ debilitating
“call for the elders of the church”
“and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.”
Anointing with oil:
- Physical expression to stimulate faith.
- Symbol of Holy Spirit, divine agent in healing.
And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
8 It happened that the father of Publius lay sick with fever and dysentery. And Paul visited him and prayed, and putting his hands on him, healed him. 9 And when this had taken place, the rest of the people on the island who had diseases also came and were cured.
Acts 28:8-9, ESV
If you are seriously sick or have an injury that is debilitating, call the elders for prayer.
- Conversation about your circumstance.
- Anoint you with oil as a symbol of the Holy Spirit, who is mighty to heal.
- We will pray with you, believing that God can and does heal -prayer of faith.
- We will submit to His sovereign will.
- If He chooses to heal you, give Him all the glory because it wasn’t the oil, or the elder’s prayer, or even the faith that healed you. It was God!